[Tango-L] any advice for bad shoulders?

ramiro garcia ramiro9 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 12:01:02 EST 2007

--- jjg <jjg at jqhome.net> wrote:

> Um, me too. Couple of things to consider.
>
> * Best I got on shoulders was here:
>
> http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1426252&cr=

Interesting article! I intend to try a few things in it.

> * (When your shoulders are really sore): Dance with good partners
> while you rehab.

When dancing with someone leaves one or both of my shoulders in
pain,
I usually wind up not dance with them anymore.

> Oh, do tell your partner about your issue.

If you don't tell them, how can they possibly change? It's only
fair.
Do it nicely, but do it.

> If she takes umbrage at it, then don't dance with her
> because she
> doesn't understand the shear agony a shoulder condition can cause.

A few people have responded when I've let them know they were
hurting my shoulder; the majority are locked into their habits,
and are sadly unable or unwilling to change.

> * If your follower pushes to hard on the left arm, either let the
> arm drop
> down (she can't push on it really if your fingers point at the
> ground) or switch the frame ...

3 more techniques:

Rotate your left wrist so that your palm is facing inwards, if
you're
not already dancing that way. It's harder for the women to 'set'
their
shoulders for a Really Good Push at you when their right wrist is
twisted
to face out.

Sometimes, raising your arm, bringing her hand up up up will change
her impulse to push on and lean on you. Granted, it can be tiring
to dance that way for long periods.

This last one is awkward as the dickens, but seems especially
effective with partners that are actually trying to cooperate in
not hurting my shoulder. Bringing my elbow forward and my hand back,

until my forearm lays along the woman's, seems to 'remind' them and
they just let go. Often, the woman's arm will relax once she feels
mine in contact with hers.

> FWIW I had a bad bout of shoulder problems starting last Feb.
> after an
> accident that nearly tore my right arm off (went ballistic going
> down some
> stairs and my arm go caught in the railing. eeewwww.)

<Insert long, painful history of shoulder traumas here>

The thing that's actually helped me the most has been the Alexander
Technique. I highly recommend it. It's been a lifesaver for me,
knees as well as shoulders.

There's a ton of info online.

> Hope this helps. If you need/want to drop me a line.

Ditto.

ramiro