[Tango-L] any advice for bad shoulders?

jjg jjg at jqhome.net
Sun Dec 23 19:02:14 EST 2007

Um, me too. Couple of things to consider.

* Best I got on shoulders was here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1426252&cr=

Essential argument is that the rotator cuff is a symptom of shoulder misuse
rather than be a primary problem. Assuming your moniker is accurate, this
article is probably for you. If you are athletic you might also want to check
how much sports experience your physiotherapist had. An awful lot of them will
rehab you enough to sit on the couch pain free, but have no idea what to do
for an athlete.

* Switch your embrace to close. Plus with close embrace is that you can lead
everything with your chest so you can effectively remove your arms from the
kinetic chain. If she is good with it, just give her a big hug. This will
allow you to support both arms with each other and should completely shut off
the rotator cuffs on both sides. Oh, this trick also works if you are having
lower back pain too.

* (When your shoulders are really sore): Dance with good partners while you
rehab. A lot of beginners are a touch slow to pick up on direction changes and
so lag with the effect that your shoulders take a beating. Normally this is
not an issue, but even a little tweaking for a tanda or two (that's around 20
minutes) on bursitis can aggravate it for a week.

* If your follower pushes to hard on the left arm, either let the arm drop
down (she can't push on it really if your fingers point at the ground) or
switch the frame so you are both resting hands on each other's shoulders with
arms straight. Might be an option for classes. Oh, do tell your partner about
your issue. If she takes umbrage at it, then don't dance with her because she
doesn't understand the shear agony a shoulder condition can cause. One good
tug at the wrong time could put you out of commission for 6 - 8 weeks...

FWIW I had a bad bout of shoulder problems starting last Feb. after and
accident that nearly tore my right arm off (went ballistic going down some
stairs and my arm go caught in the railing. eeewwww.)

Hope this helps. If you need/want to drop me a line.

Cheers,

Jeff G

=====
I have had prolonged bouts with bursitis in both shoulders, as well as
small tears in my rotator cuff.  I work with a trainer to strengthen
and protect my shoulders as much as possible - but sometimes, esp.
after a long night of leading or dancing with a follower who pushes too
hard - my left shoulder really hurts.  I was wondering if any other
leaders have this problem and/or any suggestions?

thanks
=====