[Tango-L] Brainstorming

David Hodgson DHodgson at TangoLabyrinth.com
Mon Dec 24 04:25:36 EST 2007

Ok Igor:
I am going to give some suggestions since you have asked and have put this
out to the Tango community as a whole.

I am talking to you directly and the suggestions I am making are to you
directly, if they help others then we together have done a service to this
community. Because what you want from this dance does not fall into the
either - or/ right or wrong category.

What you are asking for in your questions. Is for your dance, your own
dance.

The way you have been asking the questions is that you want the answers
(with in the context of argentine tango), the answers handed to you on a
silver platter, with a gold gilded place card saying here is where to find
the Cotillion dance you so long for, your fantasies manifest just so, in the
way you want them.

You know Igor, I would become bored in about 5 min.

Because; this is not who I am.

I want my tango messy, real, visceral, not safe, not PC, here and now, with
a follow, in my embrace, in this world!!!
What I create out of this cacophony is elegance, refinement, subtlety, and a
respectful go to bloody hell, and that I dance well a follow in bliss who is
sharing this beautiful energy and experience with me (I could continue).

Because; this is who I am.

You have asked for some answers and there have been many at your expense. I
have walked in your shoes and have a soft spot in my heart for where you
communicate you are. I will pass this on only once. Not only for you to
listen, but a few others to whom this may resonate.

Sunshine (Igor), this is what you need to do.
STOP TAKING LESSONS!!! AND STOP SOCIAL DANCING FOR THREE MONTHS!!!
Do not ask or answer one question from this list during this time also.

Get up in the morning and walk in around your home.

Practice in the line at the bank, grocery store, in elevators (and while
waiting), where you work, on the street corners, and while waiting for the
light to change.

In your frustration, hatred, anger, fear, happiness, joy, while in
loneliness and in love, and grumbling under your breath or out loud while
telling me to go to hell.

Practice in the evening, walking, pauses, and rondes.

Because of where you are: what you ask from tango is exactly what you will
get back and right now what your getting is intellectual minutia going round
and round like a calliope.

You have a lot of potential I would like to see you express your potential.
But you must take the step into a world you can never figure out by thinking
about it. Thinking about it is for a different porpoise.

If you want to prove me wrong and tell me to go to hell. Good.
Cause the critic you talk about is the one with in your self.

Right now it looks like many are tossing lawn darts in your direction while
you're spinning around on the calliope.

What I teach is not patterns, is not connection, is not conversation.
They are a part of what I teach.

This is stepping into the dance with what you have at this moment, and what
you have to share at this time. With the person in your embrace. For both
Lead and Follow. Because this is the path I choose and an honest expression
of who I am.

Igor: It also does not mean I impose this view upon someone else for who
Tango is a nice simple social dance and nothing more. I teach and share with
them also, what they ask. This is who they are that that moment in time.

Igor: You want answers to the questions you ask. You do this just like it
has always been done. Here is a door way. Step through it baby, or do not.
It is your choice.

Other than that, I am sure there are a few more lawn darts out there with
your name on them.

I wish you the best and hope you find your way. Because what I would like to
see in your dance IS MORE BLOODY COWBELL !!!

For everyone else, thank you for a moment of your patience in this email.
Now back to the conversation at hand
"Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"

David Hodgson.

(PS: Was wondering if I would get the cowbell in there).