[Tango-L] Holding a Baby on a Swing

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 09:22:03 EST 2007

Leaders, imagine your follower as a baby on a swing AND the baby is not strapped in.  It is your job to move with the baby, holding it and not impeeding with its motion.  You want the baby to feel the momentum and pauses in the swing.  But, you want the baby to feel, and be, secure.

  It's a way of moving with your follower and not restricting her movement at the points where she she should feel momentum and pauses.  You see, you suggested the momentum and you suggested the pause, but, it is the follower who is free to intensify those feelings.  This is part of what I mean when I say that women can dance, so I go along for the ride (to an extent).

  A step is in three parts.

  1. The leader suggests the direction and feel of the step.

  2. The follower interprets what the leader has suggested and makes the step.

  3. The leader follows the follower through the step.

  Given that sequence, the leader merely suggested the motion.  It is the follower who is taking you through the motion.  You could ( you don't have to ) imagine that you are along for the ride.  You could ( you don't have to ) imagine that you are along for the ride to take care of her ( make sure you are not throwing her off balance, assist her if she becomes off balance, etc ).  When you do this, you could imagine that you are there, for the same purpose, taking care of a baby on a swing, where the momentum and the pauses are big and balance is pretty darn important.

Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:
  Ok, I am coming back, since all you the way you are are a part of my
community.

There is a method of collective thinking called Brainstorming.
It is when ideas are spontaneously generated and thought about.

The rule number one in this way to invent something good and useful is:

NO CRITIC !!!

Absolutely forbidden.

Critic kills freedom of creativity and imagination. At least in this method.

I can elaborate more about it, but it is pretty much enough for now.

So far, I can count only two original ideas about tango dancing:

"Musician - violin" relationship,
( actually my idea was: "any dancer is a musical instrument", but let us
simplify it ).
And
"Painter - brush" relationship,
Offered if I am not mistaken by "Tango For Her"

Forgive me if I missed something.

The notion of "men and woman have equal rights" is the very fundamental,
which no one questions, but it is too trivial. We all know about it ( and,
frankly, it does not cover all aspects of tango dancing )

For especially angry ladies I can offer another one:

"A singer and his voice".

So, what would you say?

Igor Polk