[Tango-L] tell me why someone can not stand comparison of a dancer to a musical instrument

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Sun Dec 23 13:59:35 EST 2007

This dispute about the metaphors is really about two different
underlying issues: collaboration in partner dance, and respecting the
feelings of others.

Collaborative contributions to a tango
--------------------------------------
Some of us evidently think that the collaborative ratio of creative
contribution in a tango is always 100% leader, 0% follower (ie, no
collaboration).  (Any women in that camp?  I would be interested to
know.)  Others feel that the collaborative ratio might ideally be 51%
leader, 49% follower, like jazz musicians improvising off each other.

To me the collaborative ratio ideally is 60%-80% lead and 40-20% follow.
  Even a single ratio is too simple: it slides back and forth through a
single dance.  The lead could be a 100% decision maker in a certain part
of the dance and collaborate with the follow in a pause in the music
(adornos etc), and then it returns to 100% lead again.  Or a lead could
be completely flexible throughout, waiting for the follow to contribute
something interesting at any point, and work off that.  I notice that
some leads like to control the lyrical part of a tango but are more
interested in collaboration during the choppier parts that build tension
in the music.  Some days I like to follow 100% and contribute nothing.

Let me acknowledge that it's HARDER for leads to collaborate.  They
already have to think ahead and have a plan what to do, communicate it
to the follow, navigate the floor traffic, and respond on the fly to the
follow's ability to follow or not follow the lead (she might be on a
different foot or not understand the lead).  Making the planning part
into a conversation adds a very challenging layer of complexity to the
process.  Some leads are overwhelmed by collaboration and other leads
simply don't want to.

I agree with Krasimir's point that a dance can become murky (and feel
icky) because too much dominance being asserted back and forth can
easily become a battle rather than a duet.  But I think a murky dance is
primarily caused by mismatches in several other things (partner skill,
familiarity with partner, paying attention to partner, flexibility in
response to change).  It all boils down to "know your partner."

There are certain partners we click with and the dance is enjoyable, and
other partners that we just don't seem to click with.  After a few spins
we know whom we have dance chemistry with.

Women's feelings and respect for them
-------------------------------------

Men:

Specifically in the context of social dancing (but not romantic love or
poetry or many other contexts) -- women in the U.S. are offended by the
idea that a follower is an inanimate object being manipulated by the
leader to create his own expression of the dance.  OFFENSIVE TO US.
OFFENSIVE TO YOUR DANCE PARTNERS.  There is no "why".  It just "is".
This is the social and moral equivalent of telling an African-American
that racist jokes, or being legally required to sit in the back of the
bus due to skin color, should not bother them.  This is like asking them
"why" they feel bad about racism.

The possible choices for you in this matter are:  A. Do not hurt our
feelings in this way.  B.  Hurt our feelings in this way.

"Convincing us that our feelings are illogical so the feelings will go
away" is not a possible choice -- any more than "deciding that gravity
will not apply to you today" is a possible choice.

If you seek to understand these feelings, read Michael's post below.
Better yet, learn to follow, and dance for several hours following some
leader who controls 100% of everything and gets irritated with you if
you deviate even a hair's breadth from his plan.