[Tango-L] thinking or dancing?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 16:00:46 EST 2007

--- Carol Shepherd <arborlaw at comcast.net> wrote:

Let me acknowledge that it's HARDER for leads to
collaborate.  They already have to think ahead and have a
plan what to do, ...
________

Sean again,

I agree with almost everything that you have posted on that
other thread Carol, except the part above. In order to
dance, men (and women) must be in the moment. There is no
possibility of past or future, only the continuous now.

If a man is thinking, then he is not listening, not to the
music, not to his partner, and not to the rest of the
dancers.

Plans are fantasies about what might happen if one could
control the universe. But a dancer has no control over the
other dancers, his partner, or even his own reaction to the
music. The dance is a spontaneous response to these
stimuli. If he has a plan, then he will try to live that
fantasy, rather than expressing the reality of the moment.

I think that is why good dancers don't care much about the
style wars. Most likely, other dancers will interfere with
whatever plans you might have. But it is much less likely
that they will interfere with your dancing.

Sean

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/