[Tango-L] tell me why someone can not stand comparison of a dancer to a musical instrument

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Sun Dec 23 00:13:27 EST 2007

nd the women keep telling the men not to refer to
them in that way and  they keep justifying their way
of thinking.
 And would the men please
stop telling us how we are supposed to feel about
it!!!!!

I think Nancy said it pretty well - several women have shared their
feelings, and I guarantee that we could produce many others who would
agree - it matters less that you think it should not bother us, and
more that you respect the fact that we've told you that it does (and
btw, I am using "you" in the global sense, not you personally.  I am
willing to believe that you do mean it to be received as a positive
comparison - but, as one on the receiving end, I can assure you that it
isn't.....for a whole host of reasons that may or may not have anything
to do with you or you alone, and have much to do with experiences such
as the women on this thread have already described.

If you say something to me that I tell you leaves me feeling hurt or
offended - isn't the more respectful, or at least polite thing to do is
not repeat it - rather than tell me I shouldn't be bothered? Maybe
something along the lines of, "I really
meant it to be a compliment, but I am sorry that it didn't sound like
that to you.  I think you dance beautifully...etc."  I don't think this
kind of sensitivity to someone's feelings is a cultural thing......

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango.  Thanks!