[Tango-L] He played her like a violin

Megan Pingree meganpingree at comcast.net
Fri Dec 21 14:46:05 EST 2007

hi Jay

I have to say that this issue of describing the follower as an
inanimate object is often front and center for me.  As a teacher, I
am often reaching for metaphors that help students understand the
roles.  Musical instruments:players, and cars:drivers, and (the
worst) even wheelbarrows: pushers! are metaphors I sometimes resort
to -- always with some trepidation.  Of those, I like the instrument:
player one the best -- for the very reasons you so beautifully
expressed.

In a similar vein, altho not as objectifying -- I remember in BAires
dancing with an old milonguero to D'agostino/Vargas, and feeling as
tho I had been  invited to participate in the telling of his life's
story.  It was his story, not mine, and I felt honored to help him
tell it.  Not a time for me to be playful or assertive in my dancing;
instead, a time for me to do "active listening" (are you familiar
with that lay psychology term?) -- to amplify, clarify, manifest,
give him the feedback in my dancing that I understood and appreciated
what he meant to express.
Of course the music was a key piece of this story-telling.  He knew
every note and word, (and thankfully, it was well-known to me, tho I
didn't understand a  lot of the lyrics.) It was the bridge between
us, or maybe the matrix within which we together told his life --
with me very much in a supporting role.

Most of the time, I am not dancing with old milongueros!  So most of
the time, I feel as tho my story, or at least my mood and my
understanding of the music are as much to be expressed as my
leader's.  In that case, being played like a violin is fine/
wonderful, as long as this player is skilled, and happy with my being
a violin with her own personality, quirks, strengths -- as any Strad is.

  I wonder if sometimes a fine musician with a fine instrument feels
as the the instrument tells him how she wants to be played, and he
does her bidding.  (I am trying here to allow for the instrument to
be very active and expressive -- definitely a bit of a stretch for
the literal-minded, as instruments don't willfully , consciously,
take over --tho they may seem to by, for example,  busting a string
occasionally.)

This is way more than I intended to write! I don't have time for
this!  Ok, I am procrastinating on dealing with insurance issues.
Thanks for the diversion.
:-)  Megan