[Tango-L] How about a duet?

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 14:33:13 EST 2007

Manyof the men, who I assume areleaders, are talking about what they
"let" happen, "allow" to happen, etc.  I think what is really
disturbing to women (btw, Carol, I have danced with the type of leads
you describe - but never twice.....) is that this type of language
leaves no apparent room for women to contribute to the "music" - unless
"allowed to."  When I am leading, it is a dynamic interplay - I may
lead "something" - her response to that lead then informs my next lead,
and I may yet hear her "say" something else that presents an
opportunity to respond in a different way, and so on, and so on.  This
is why, when I am following, I don't like when the lead sort of
"disengages" to allow me to do some tricks and then starts dancing
again.

I am definitely of the school of thought that tango is completely lead,
so the notion of roles makes sense to me - but the roles are equal and
dynamiic because (and I apologize in advance) it takes two to
tango......(groan...)

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango. Thanks!