[Tango-L] Inspiration and Imitation: role models

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 21:06:31 EST 2007

If you dance show tango, then it might be fruitful to find someone, online, who's dancing style is familiar to yours.  However, it's only my opinion, but, if you dance tango for the softness, I don't see how that applies.

  I can't count how many times I told women, "He must be a great dancer.", about someone they just danced with and got the response.  "Not really.  He throws me around." or "He doesn't wait for me", etc.  So, I have learned that it isn't necessarily in what you see.

  With that said, have you ever seen an older man slow dancing with his wife and he looks so smooth and she seems so happy?  I pick him!

Crrtango at aol.com wrote:
  It is often difficult and misleading to attempt to imagine how someone dances
tango based on their posts to Tango-L. Even when two people agree in
writing on style and philosophy, they may dance very differently. As I have posted
before, we often see visitors here in NYC from other tango communities and it
is informative and revealing to see how they dance, compared to their
comments. Often the styles they like and write about reflect their own dancing, but
not always. So I thought of an idea to put a face (or feet) on the
milonguero/as we admire. It would be interesting to go one step further and
pick a video that represents how each of us dances, or how each of us would like
to dance. Try to find the one person, male or female, that best exemplifies
either your own style or the style you aspire to. Perhaps with a brief
comment as to why. Some might be obvious, some might be surprises. I have many
favorites but only one or two that I would actually use as models.

To start this off, my own style and approach would be closest to El Chino
Perico because of his elegance and understatement. I have done performances
over the years with more elaborate choreography, but in the end (and especially
in a social situation) my dancing probably is closest to what is shown in his
videos. There are a number of examples of him on Youtube.

How about yours?

Cheers,
Charles