[Tango-L] Musicality quotient P.S.

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:31:26 EST 2007

Keith,

While I agree that tango musicality should not emanate from the head, I
understand you as saying musicality is expressed in your feet. I see it
differently. In my opinion, musicality is expressed mainly in the chest,
emanating from the heartbeat and breathing.

A man leads from the chest, not his feet. The feet support the movement of
the chest, in a sense following the lead of the chest. There can be no
shared syncopation of the feet without a syncopation led from the chest.

I know there are tango dancers who do fancy footwork as an expression of the
music. Yes, to some degree a man may move his feet to a different rhythm
than the woman, and likewise women add embellishments that may have a
different rhythm than the man. However, what I see in people concentrating
on this in their dance is that they are at risk for dancing with themselves
instead of with their partner.

There is a beauty in tango of the shared experience. This extends to
musicality. As a leader I express musicality in my chest, through movement
that can pulse and pause and syncopate. Sometimes the woman provides
feedback as to how she feels the music, but this too comes from her chest,
her breathing, perhaps a change in the pressure of the embrace, even a pulse
that fits with the music.

This is why I believe the musicality of tango is expressed mainly in the
chest, in the embrace. However,  I recognize there may be people who
interpret tango music differently.

Ron