[Tango-L] Musicality quotient P.S.

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Thu Dec 6 16:47:33 EST 2007

Sorry - pushed send to fast.

Musicality is never going to come from the head. Gotta come out from the
body.

I can play drums, so I can move all my limbs and parts of my trunk
independently. This is a big part of my style.

For anyone feeling un-musical with no music playing background,
frustration with trying to understand musicality is certainly
understandable.

In all sincerity, I ask you to seek it through your feet, your legs, your
hips. Nothing above the waist. No arms, no shoulders (keep them back with
your chest out)! NO BRAIN. It gets right in the way of musicality.

Feel the beat; move to the music DOWN THERE. Not UP HERE.

This foot, then that foot.

Be sure where your wait is, so your partner knows what is going on.

Your feet, when comfortable, will start wanting to syncopate when you know
the music.

DON'T LOOK THAT UP. You don't have to understand it in your head.

Just feel it. And make sure where your weight is is telegraphed so your
partner is with you. She follows your torso. It must be solid with your
weight.

Your feet can be playing all sorts of fun games but that won't throw her
off if you're not moving the wrong way above the waist.

Weight. Feet. Knees. Hips. Play with the music and your partner. Upper
body solid giving weight and direction.

NO BRAIN. When it is shut off, you find your musicality.