[Tango-L] Musicality - what is it?

desdelasnubes@web.de desdelasnubes at web.de
Thu Dec 6 17:35:08 EST 2007

> Perhaps rhetorical questions.
> What is average number of years you critics of musicality classes have been
> dancing tango?  Number of hours you have spent listening to tango?

I doubt that numbers matter. Not the numbers of years and not the
number of classes. I guess it is all individual. Some need more time, some are more open or apt to
feel the music, or to surrender to the music or to rely on intuition rather than on analytical approach?
Honestly, to me a clapping lecture does not sound very seductive, rather the opposite.
I think it is about feeling the music and feeling at home in the music.
And I think I will need many more years to really know the music well.
But I enjoy being slow and I don't feel the need to speed up or to pass a test of musicality or to clap hands in classes.
I fell in love with tango about 15 years ago. With my friends we humbly
decided we wanted to... stage a tango opera, because we felt inspired ;)
So we would meet to dance, to sing the songs, play the music (we just played guitar;)
Of course we never made it to some stage performance, but we had a great time.
All these years I kept listening to the tango music and I think it can never get boring to hear the
well known songs. I  enjoy knowing the lyrics and I discover all sorts of feelings in the music and I enjoy
all these feelings when listening to it and dancing to it. Being familiar with the music makes it easier
for me to find this dream-like floating stage of abandonment if I can trust the partner I dance with.
And even if my dancing partner does not seem to feel the music or he does not connect to me,
the music will be my refuge, which is great :)

Anna