[Tango-L] Welcoming beginners to tango.

doug@swingfusion.com doug at swingfusion.com
Thu Dec 6 15:25:42 EST 2007

Based on discussions here, it might be useful if some of you took up Balkan
folk dance, or hustle, or lindy hop, or something you know nothing about.
Become rank beginner again.  Maybe some of you forget what it is like to be
clueless about dance and what learning process is.  Is not always linear.
Often very crooked.

My introduction to tango was by listening to Adrian Iaies and later years of
Piazzollo.  Then I try to dance to them because I like to dance.  Then I
learn there is tango dance.  Then I learn no one can possibly dance tango to
later Piazzolla, or at least everyone hates to dance to later Piazzolla, or
something, or maybe nothing.  But I like dancing to Piazzolla.  Then I learn
that one must only dance to scratchy records of 30's, or not.  I also learn
that many, but not all, who teach are sole owners of truth.  Then I learn
more and more...  Finally I learn I must simply decide for myself what I
want and do what I can in the time I have with resources at hand which are
not ideal.  Very crooked path.

Often learning is not just going from A to B.  I am not trying to be
insulting or pedantic.  I do respect all on list and am sure that dancing is
far better than mine.  Just my 2 cents.

D.