[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Thu Dec 6 14:00:34 EST 2007

Hello Tango Aficionados,

There seems to be a consensus that musicality is matching movement to music much as scatting is matching vocal sound to music.? Indeed, I believe that dancing in general is much like scatting.

Does one need to be familiar with the music to scat?? Not really, since music, at least good music, is fairly predictable.? For example, almost all traditional tangos have 3 sections: moderate, slow, and fast.? Even modern tangos are predictable if not redundant.? So, I submit that after hearing only 5 seconds of a tango dancers with only a rudimentary sense of musicality should be able to effectively match movement to the music, at least to some extent.

Does familiarity with the music help?? Of course!? I'm sure that Ella Fitzgerald practiced her scatting in order to get a perfect blend with the music.? Part of her genius was that she made it sound besides, perfectly blended, perfectly natural and spontaneous.? For me, that is the true measure and meaning of musicality.

Bob