[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Bruno Afonso bafonso at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:50:06 EST 2007

Hi Huck,

I have taken only one tango "musicality" class. It went over different
composers/eras, as well how they differently convey different feelings
and emotions, even using the same song. Then we explored a bit how
different dance approaches will produce different emotions, such as
creating tension, etc.

I enjoyed the class, it was bidirectional and basically the teacher
was telling what cool things one can look for and explore. I'm sure
given enough time you will find a lot of this, but not all. That's the
nice thing about taking classes vs never taking or only reading books.

We may have had very different experiences as far as classes go. I
don't have them with teachers I don't dig or I don't enjoy their (lack
of) sensitivity. That's why it's a good idea to check out the first
one to see if you like it. Maybe I was very lucky with it and this is
why you strongly disagree ?

It looks like you took classes that were aimed at people at a level
much lower level than yours. There are very bad music teachers around
and that doesn't make music classes worthless in general. :-)

stay cool

--
Bruno Afonso
http://brunoafonso.com (personal, mostly portuguese)