[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:38:30 EST 2007

Bruno Afonso <bafonso at gmail.com> writes:
> I find interesting people here saying that classes on musicality are
> worthless when even top musicians in schools like berklee school of
> music have them from others. And those are soon to be professional
> musicians.  But hey, I'm sure a tango aficionado knows more about music
> than some of the best musicians in the world... people here tend to
> know more about everything than anyone else, so that wouldn't surprise
> me :)

     Congratulations on building and then successfully slaying
a strawman with penache, Bruno!  Some of us saying that most
musicality classes taught to tango students are of little use
in no way logically implies the ridiculous sweeping
generalization that music colleges are worthless as you claim
it does above.

     Music is indeed a very technical subject.  When Berklee
School of Music starts teaching musicality classes at a tango
festival, let me know, and I'll gladly sign up.  Meanwhile,
I'll pass on the usual Hand Clapping 101 Class and Phrases Are
Eight Measures And Oh By The Way Two Plus Two Equals Four Class
next time I go to a tango festival, if you don't mind.  :-)

Huck