[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Dec 6 13:34:53 EST 2007

OK, I wasn't gonna but I'm gonna jump in.

1.

There is a WORLD of difference between XYZ "musicality" class and ABC
"musicality" class.

Some people need 2 + 2 = 4 because they do not understand basic rhythm
and phrases in music.  Don't mock that!!!!  That's just mean, people.

They probably have never been exposed to basic structural concepts of
music, such as AABA (motif-motif-new motif-motif)...(which is not
typical for tango but it is for the pervasive pop music and that is
where most people connect with the idea of musical structure).

Others dance at a level where they only need a class of 'shines' to use
to punctuate the 'hooks' and/or 'breaks' (ie, good things to do at
various points where the music is recognizably cadencing, or a phrase is
terminating, or the style changes from rough to smooth or vice versa -
maybe a musician on the list can find a better set of lay terms to
replace that jargon).

I think the reason this discussion has gone on so long is that you walk
into a quote-unquote musicality class, ANYTHING could be on the menu.
There's no consistency in the level or the approach, or even the
objective.  And the levels of ability in any such class will range from
no-comprendo to extremely gifted.

It would be ideal to select for different levels/styles of musicality
classes by prerequisite -- ie, observation of the student by the teacher
and placement in the right type of musicality class.  IMO.

2.

OK, certain people are gonna hate this but.  I have observed that when
the Michigan Tango Club plays a tanda of popular music with a rhythm
conducive to tango steps, the beginner leaders all of a sudden get major
amounts of musicality.  Meaning, they can all of a sudden dance to the
phrase and they start using all of the vocabulary they have been
learning, rather than having their brain burned out by parsing
unfamiliar music while leading while navigating the line of dance while
not toppling or overleading the follow.  So, it's a great exercise in
learning tango.

So yes, my point supports all those listmembers saying that knowing a
song cold makes you a better dancer (to that song, and to other songs,
because you start to recognize the building blocks of the music genre).
   But beginners don't know tango music cold and are not likely to make
that investment except in the couple of songs they get in class.  I
don't even listen to tango casually around the house and I love it.  It
makes me listen too much and I can't do anything else but listen.  This
knowledge of all the stuff regularly being DJed in your community comes
eventually with many hours of dance experience, but frankly a lot of
those beginner leaders will quit if they never experience that high
level of comfort.  So I enthusiastically support the
tangoing-to-non-tango tanda at the practica and yes, even at the milonga
(if purists are offended they can just leave for a smoke or an
interesting conversation in the hall, or sit down for a few minutes).