[Tango-L] Who leads what, who follows what

doug@swingfusion.com doug at swingfusion.com
Sun Dec 2 21:18:34 EST 2007

Manuel wrote:

>> Something does not compute in this program.
And more I cut out to make short.
 ---------------------------------------

I think each person decides for himself what is good tango dancing.  I don't
judge.  After all, is just dance.  Is fun.  Is not my work.  Maybe you stop
reading now if you think I try to tell anyone else what is good, what is not
good.  I don't do that.  You decide for your self what is good, what sucks.

But for me, I want to learn
Tango, Vals, and Milonga.
Apilado, Salon (closed & open), and Nuevo (whatever - back to back?).
To be elastic and smooth, but with energy, give direction but to listen.
To be patient but musical, calm but dynamic.
To be tender and gentle but playful and rowdy(?).
To dance small on crowded floor but use whole floor if empty.
To walk with things to keep always woman on-axis, but also colgadas,
volcadas and things to take woman off-axis.
To do ganchos, wraps, traps, boleos, energy moves, usw.
To lead and do all things clearly with balance and precision and accuracy
and for the music.
To make partner laugh and have fun.  This is not serious, is only dance.

Then, I throw all away.  All.  And just dance with respect for music, for
floor and for partner so each woman thinks I dance only for her.  Only for
her pleasure and her fun.  Then I think I am good tango dancer.  Today I am
good at some small little piece of tango.  But so what?  In big picture, I
suck.  And it is OK.  I still have fun every time I practice, every time I
dance.

My partner danced with me for over one hour this morning in my apartment.
We laughed a lot.  We just walked.  We played.  We stopped and did things
again and again.  We fixed volcada where she is standing on left foot.  Now
it is very smooth, very supported, very comfortable for partner.  Can do
very small or very big.  And it works always.  At least always today.  At
least always today with her.  One small thing.  And we had a lot of fun.

Tango is for me a 20 year project.  And that is good.  Yes?