[Tango-L] Who leads what, who follows what

doug@swingfusion.com doug at swingfusion.com
Sun Dec 2 15:38:11 EST 2007

Steve Pastor wrote:

>> Shall we blame Max Roach for this?
>> I don't play, but I believe he was quite revolutionary in his approach
>> to drumming.
>> But, jazz parted ways with dancers when bebop became popular.
>> So....

Dance background is 12 years swing & partnered jazz dance.

Dizzy Gillespie was pissed when people said they couldn't dance to his
music, to bebop.  And he was right to be.  Dance to bebop is great, fun, not
hard.  Main problem is people think bebop too complex.  Oh well.  Yes, need
to listen good.  Still dance in 4 or 8.  But sometimes dance in 5, or in 7.
Not hard to do.  Just listen.  Partner & I dance mostly to live jazz.  Deal
with what's really happening, not what you want to happen.

>> Maybe you'll start a trend.
>> Or maybe all those people who don't look like they are dancing to
>> the music are jazz drummers, too!

And maybe I really am clueless and only pretend to be in 3 or in 5.  Good
excuse.  No?

Manuel wrote:
>> I think that you would benefit greatly from taking private lessons from a
good teacher. If you still >> "suck" after all this work and practice, I'd
suggest a different method for  your improvement since >> you feel that you
still dance poorly after all this time.

Average at least 1 hour each week in privates with wonderful excellent
teacher.  But I also taught and competed nationally in my other dances, even
judged at local level.  I recognize dance that sucks and dance that is
kick-ass.  I am way not a kick-ass tango dancer.  I need more years with
many different partners.  My regular partner is kick-ass good, but I still
clunky guy.  Her goodness can hide my clunkiness.  Is good.  But she & I
know.