[Tango-L] Who leads what, who follows what

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 14:43:01 EST 2007

Shall we blame Max Roach for this?
  I don't play, but I believe he was quite revolutionary in his approach
  to drumming.
  But, jazz parted ways with dancers when bebop became popular.
  So....

  What I find interesting, too, is how, what to us, are strange time
  signatures such as 5/4,11/8, 7/16, 9/4, 21/8 are danced to by
  people in other cultures.
  I see Hollis Taylor isn't the only one to play "Unsquare Dances".
  (Dave Brubeck, too)
  AT has the familiar 4/4, 3/4, and 2/4.
  Maybe you'll start a trend.
  Or maybe all those people who don't look like they are dancing to
  the music are jazz drummers, too!

doug at swingfusion.com wrote:
  Thank you all who responded. Comments were very helpful.

In related post, No Subject - stats/personal responsibility,

Trini de Pittsburgh wrote:

>> I can see where my comment might be taken negatively, but
>> it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I assumed based on his
>> comments, perhaps mistakenly, that Doug has become a bona
>> fide tango junkie.

I took no offense at remarks Trini, and tango junkie, yes.

Regular partner & I dance tango maybe 12 hours per week for 1 year now. 600
hours? Sounds right. Maybe 2 hours a week just walking, maybe 2 hours
practice, maybe 2 hours playing (we don't usually fall over) and 6 hours
dance. Partner started year before me and is longtime ballet dancer, so I
still suck and she kicks butt. It's nice she dances with me. Anyway, I
learn mostly by leading and seeing what partner does. If she does what I
hoped, lead was OK. If not, lead sucked & I try to adjust to get what I
wanted. Then I try with others not regular partner. Adjust until lead
seems to work comfortably with others too. Then I walk more.

I asked question because also I learn by partner executes step & I feel how
her body moved. Then I try to adjust lead to move her in same way I felt.
So she moves and I listen to her body. We sometimes dance like this too. I
didn't know if this was ever part of real tango.

Oh. And for Manuel. As jazz drummer, I don't always dance to beat of
music. Sometimes I comp, but I also do fills or play a line against the
music. Maybe I dance 3 against 4, or 5 against 8 (5 equal steps in 8 beats
of music). But _only_ with regular partner who gets it. Other women want
to fight my timing. They think I'm clueless and can't find the beat. Oh
well. Jazzers can be a real mess.

Thank you again for your kind replies.

D.