[Tango-L] Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Thu Aug 30 01:11:06 EDT 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:54:06 -0400, "Keith" <keith at tangohk.com> said:
> For a little R'n'R I entered a Tango competition earlier this year [in
> BsAs]. It's as Janis says, there was so much space available, it was much
> easier than dancing in the milongas. Other than moving CCW around the
> floor and dancing to the music, no improvisation was necessary as there
> were no obstructions. We could pretty much dance whatever we wanted
> whenever we wanted. Given time and practice, we could have choreographed
> an entire 3-minute dance routine for use in the competition and I'm sure
> that's what many competitors are now doing.

Well, just to be contrarian, did you know what the music was going to be
in advance?  If not, do you think a decent choreography without knowing
the music is even possible?  I don;t know these things, I've never done
a choreography in my life, but I'm not sure you can even have a preset
range of steps in mind to perform to any random music successfully ...
it's not improvisation and it's not a set choreography; it's bound to
come out looking bad.

Ballroom people don't just have choreographies, I'm pretty sure they
know
what the music will be in advance.

But if you did know what the music was going to be, then maybe you're
right.

Christopher