[Tango-L] Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Aug 30 00:54:06 EDT 2007

For a little R'n'R I entered a Tango competition earlier this year [in BsAs]. It's as Janis says, there was so much space available, it was much
easier than dancing in the milongas. Other than moving CCW around the floor and dancing to the music, no improvisation was necessary as there
were no obstructions. We could pretty much dance whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. Given time and practice, we could have choreographed an
entire 3-minute dance routine for use in the competition and I'm sure that's what many competitors are now doing. So it really is just an
exhibition or a performance - something the couples have probably practiced hundreds of times before. It may even become the same as in
Ballroom, where the top competitors have their competition routines choreographed for them - by experts who are in high demand.

I wish the arrangers could think of a solution to the problem, as improvisation should definitely be a major factor in judging a Tango
competition. Perhaps, just before each dance, obstacles could be placed randomly about the floor. The judges could then see how skilfully and
inventively the competitors navigate around them. As the competition progresses, the number of obstacles could be increased.

As Ilene says, I also love to see exhibitions by the very best salon-style dancers. But the Salon Competition should be something completely
different - it should, as far as possible, try to simulate the milonga experience.

Keith, HK

On Thu Aug 30  4:26 , Ilene Marder  sent:

>Janis wrote:
>   * Don't you think this is turning tango into a performance-only dance?
>Ilene replies..:
>Knowing what  social/salon tango means to those who dance it, I just don't think that is even in the realm of possibility.
>I think tango will always be a social dance because of what it gives each of us each personally.
>Plus, for me- I would rather see salon tango being performed and exhibited more than stage/fantastia tango, in large part because stage tango
is the only 'kind' of tango most people (outside of tango) have seen. Perhaps that's why some teachers think that's what they have to teach. If
the public saw more salon tango exhibitions, I think they would want to learn more about embrace, connection, musiciality than flying ganchos
and endless ochos...