[Tango-L] To lead or not to lead the cross

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Sun Aug 26 14:46:43 EDT 2007

Not having Gustavo's tape, I'm not in a position to answer directly.  So
I'm not going to argue about whether I or Gustavo am correct.  And
moreover, in tango there are usually many ways to skin the cat.  Some
meed the standard, some don't.  Anyway, Gustavo can only speak for his
dance.  It's a mighty fine dance he's got, though.

And, I can only speak for my dance:

However, in doing the count 5 of the 8CB and the front cross of a giro
in close embrace, the follower's hip motion is almost the same, the
difference being that with the giro the preceding step is 100% to the
side, and with the 8CB, the preceding step is 100% to the back.

I have not stated that there is a man's body turn to the left.  What I
have stated is that one twists the spine to the right ... I did forget
to state that the hips stay pointed in the same direction as the LOD.
This displaces the woman to the right.

On step 4 of the 8CB in the normal system the way I do it in close,
three (of many) possibilities are:

A) exactly where it would be if just walking with the follower in front
of me.
B) one foots-width to the left of item A above
C) one foots-width to the right of item A above

Now remember, I've placed the follower about 4 inches to my right with a
bit of torso twist.  If I take option B, and untwist my torso, the
follower must cross to keep the frame ... the lead is so clear that even
beginners catch it.  If I take option C, and keep the torso twist, then
I completely take the option to cross away from the woman, the frame
won't permit it, and my left foot is in the way as well (best is if I
touch my left foot to her left foot, as yet a thirt "Don't cross!"
signal).  Option A lies in the territory between "Yes, do cross!" and
"No, don't cross", so one oughtn't do it.

I myself have seen no problems with followers having a hard time exiting
from the cross the way I lead it, nor do I think my teacher would stop
twisting my balls about it until such problems went away.  And, I would
expect her to be very familiar with the issues at hand ... she was
around when Chicho started working with Fabian and Gustavo.  One the
very first things she started working with me on was the lead to the
cross, and then she had me work on the double-time cross in cross foot
system coming out of half turns to the right and left a la Tete.

Christopher