[Tango-L] To lead or not to lead

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Aug 24 18:04:09 EDT 2007

Hey Nancy,

NANCY wrote:
> Hector at Nino Bien and Lo de Celia  starts a lead to
> a cross and then makes me do a small, tight boleo
> around my  own right foot.. using the momentum of my
> movement just as he would any other boleo.
If this involves, so to speak, only the "unwrapping" part of a boleo,
you could also call it a simple enrosque. That's what I call it, anyway,
when I lead these during back ochos by starting the pivot before the
lady's leg has caught up. (To clarify: usually her free leg rides around
"outside" her support during a pivot. If she's led to collect her free
leg on the _other_ side, the "inside" of her support during a pivot, I
call it an "enrosque." That, anyway, is what you can call it when the
dude does it.)

(Perhaps a "behind" enrosque, as it travels behind the pivot.)

Some people do these without a lead, during ochos, as an embellishment--
albeit they tend to be kicky rather than silky. That, however, takes all
the fun out of it for me.

In any case, ladies who cross automatically usually must undergo a small
adjustment to make what Nancy speaks of (if I understand her right)
available & expressive in their dance. And that adjustment amounts to,
well, _not_ crossing automatically...

To do what I speak of, they have to not _pivot_ automatically. And not
collect automatically.

Short version-- It gets more ticklish when you really follow.

Jake