[Tango-L] Womans' Front Cross

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Aug 24 11:00:17 EDT 2007

Christopher,

ceverett at ceverett.com wrote:

> The step before the woman's front cross is always an open step
THIS is not necessarily so.

E.g.--

(1) One may lead step 4 of the 8CB (with or without its predecessors) as
a back cross step-- i.e., to the leader's right-- and then lead the "5,"
effecting a CW turn (or not).
(2) (Same as above, different context) One may lead the normal cross
during back ochos, as something resembling what I might call an
"arrepentida cortada." (Unlike the above context, this one usually begs
for a pause afterward.)
(3) One may (esp in a very close embrace) lead to the cross from
nowhere, by using a pivot to place the follower's leg and then a weight
change to effect the cross. (Unlike both of the above, this one usually
IS a pause.)

I've heard things about "the code of walking" too, from reputable
people. But I'm unconvinced. Perhaps it has value as a stepping-stone
for students. My current practice, however, is to shy away from things
the student will have to unlearn.

(This approach, I admit, may not prove the best; but it's the one I've
stuck to for a while and the one I intend to stand by for some time yet.)

Jake
DC