[Tango-L] Womans' Front Cross (was Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?)

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Fri Aug 24 03:52:41 EDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:42:59 -0400, "Keith" <keith at tangohk.com> said:
>  Manuel,
>
>  In that case, why does the woman's front cross only happen when the man
>  is walking outside partner on the right side?

This is not necessarily so.  I can lead a cross in normal foot
without walking outside my partner.

>  Why doesn't it happen [inevitably] during a left side walk?

The woman's job is to stay inside the frame set by the man.

Let's say that the man walks to the outside of the woman to
the left.

If he twists his spine so that his chest points a bit to the
right of the LOD at an angle, then she need not cross to keep
the frame.  In that situation, I would expect her to twist her
to the right so our chests remain parallel while she walks in
the direction I lead.  If so, when she steps back with her
right leg, it will open a bit, and when she steps back with
her left leg, she will cross in back a bit.

If the man should decide he does after all want her to cross,
then all he has to do is untwist his spine so that it points
directly down the LOD again, and she must cross to stay in
the frame.

So, to lead a cross without walking to the outside, the leader
simply needs to step forward to the outside about 10 cm with his
left foot, while pointing his chest a bit to the right.  When
he closes with his right foot and point his chest directly down
the LOD again she has to cross.

I know of at least five ways to the cross is taught, and all
of them have the woman take a slight open step before she
crosses.

>  IMHO the woman's left foot front cross, during her backward walk,
>  outside partner on the right side, has nothing to do with the Giro
>  [as much as I respect Gustavo]. It simply changes the partners'
>  positions from outside to in-line. That's all it's for.

The step before the woman's front cross is always an open step,
which can be as little as one foots width of opening.  From the
1st position of the 8CB then, we have open step, back step, open
step, front cross.

It's very blatant in the cross-foot basic, because that back step
before the cross is really a back cross.

It's like mathematics.  Not everyone can appreciate it (nor should
we think better of those who do), but it has a pristine symmetry
about it I find deeply inspiring.

Christopher