[Tango-L] Leading Cross

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:18:09 EDT 2007

> From: keith at tangohk.com

> Various teachers have taught me to lead the cross with;
>
> The fact is that if the girl knows when and how to cross, all the above will work [except maybe 4].
> Equally, if the girl doesn't know when and how to cross, nothing will work. The cross cannot be lead
> unless the girl knows it. If you don't believe me, try it with a complete beginner.
>
> So, come on Igor - tell us your easy method for leading the cross.
>
> Keith, HK

Hi Keith,

Your statement is absolutely right and addresses the crux of the matter. The cross at the 5th step of the 8CB is done automatically by women who know how to dance tango (unless you block the cross by moving yourself back in front of the woman or some other stratagem). Of course a front cross can be led from any number of places during the dance. As long as the womans weight is on her right foot, the left foot can be placed crossed in front and the weight can be changed to effect the step.

Also, you are right in that this can be proven by dancing with a complete beginner. It is not only the front cross at the 5th step that's difficult for them but also the molinete or giro. A total beginner will do all kinds of steps if you lead her (usually by strong physical impulse) to go around you. It is imperative that the woman know how to do the giros. The way to do it is by taking steps in the order of open, cross, open, cross, etc. Each time the cross alternates from front to back after each open or side step.  This is done automatically by the woman who knows how to dance tango if she is led to take steps around the man. It is actually unusual and requires special leads to make the woman cross only in front (or back) after the open steps.

Some of you have probably taken classes with Chicho, Fabian, Gustavo and other teachers who explain that the nomenclature of each step of the woman (whether it's a front or back cross or even an open step) is determined by the position of the dancers in relation to each other, not by the appearance of the step. Yes, these steps can be readily transformed in unusual ways by changing the relative positions of the man and woman. Also, it's quite true that any step can be led from practically any position. I don't advocate memorization of sequences or steps, but it is true that the tango has a code and unless the leader changes the order, the womans giro is predetermined insofar as the order of the 3 steps which comprise it.

Regards,

Manuel