[Tango-L] YouTube includes surprises

Kace kace at pacific.net.sg
Mon Aug 20 05:02:00 EDT 2007

ceverett at ceverett.com wrote:
> Yes it's an invasion.  Maybe when they die and all their buddies die,
> they would choose to be forgotten forever.  And maybe not.

I concur with Chris that perhaps not all these old milongueros want to be
forgotten like those who have already passed on.

There is a saying that "history is made by those who show up."  If someone
refuse to participate in making tango's history, he cannot turn around and
complain his heritage has been hijacked away.

My opinion of the videos that were made on old milongueros is that they
are an invaluable documentation of a significant part of tango's
heritage.  There
is no question their existence will help to connect future generations
of tangueros
to the past.

If trgentina's ministry of culture produced these videos to capture a
slice of the
country's culture and traditions, everyone would have considered it to
be as an
honorable service to their country.

But instead we ignore the big picture and haggle over if the milongueros
got a
fair deal from being featured in online videos which are not sold for money.
In any case, that quarrel is only between the two parties who are
involved in
the videos, as in who owns the proper copyright in question.

To my mind, there is absolutely no reason to condemn the existence
of such documentation of the past, and every reason to be thankful they
were
made at all --- in exactly the same way I feel when I was able to see a
film of an extinct animal species or a lost tribe on National Geographic
channel today.

Kace
tangosingapore.com