[Tango-L] YouTube includes surprises

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 15:42:56 EDT 2007

Janis Kenyon wrote:

> Ricardo
> (at 83) is still working in his electrical repair shop in San Telmo to pay
> the bills.

Unfortunately, not surprising.  Appropriating someone's performance or
their privacy without consent (by recording it and making money off it,
or giving it away for free, or in the YouTube case, using it to drive
traffic to a website intended to make money) is a time-honored form of
exploitation in the U.S.

It calls to mind all those great black musicians in the first half of
the 20th century who sold their recording rights for pennies and died in
poverty while the promoters built lucrative music industry businesses
off their backs.

I wish I had a dollar to give to Frankie Manning for every
twentysomething lindy hopper who posts videos of his early film footage
on YouTube, on the principle that "his dance is now part of our cultural
heritage and it belongs to us now" and it is "critical to distribute it
as widely as possible among us because we are the ones trying to study
and preserve this art form."

Or rather, I wish I could make every one of them give Frankie a dollar
out of their weekly latte budget.  Frankie's lucky, he's over 90 and
back into dancing lindy hop and making money off it after five decades
as a postal worker, but he's got bills to pay too.

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

licensing  *  protection  *  franchising  *  distribution

"legal solutions for 21st century businesses"