[Tango-L] CONCLUSION for - Professional video & photography services at milongas/festivals

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 15:51:28 EDT 2007

--- tango at bostonphotographs.com wrote:

> Most tango dancers feel that a person trying to make
> (very little) money from something related to tango is
some sort of sacrilege. In the year and a half since I
started tango I heard vicious comments about the people who
> (try to) make money organizing festivals, milongas,
> taking pictures or video. Interestingly, selling tango
shoes (at over 100% of the cost in BA) seems to be an
acceptable occupation. Also, it seems accepted that tango
> instructors need to make a living.

Hi Sorin,

Could it be that those comments are a reflection of the
quality of work the would-be money-makers are offering?
This is not a comment directed at your work, by the way.
There are those who can't afford certain events (e.g.
students), but I and many others don't mind paying for
quality instruction, milongas, or organization.

There are those who I don't consider to be very
professional since they are not producing good results
(teaching, organizing, etc.).  Yet they get paid or charge
people for nonquality work.  To me, that's a rip-off.

With any luck, market forces will bear out.  It disturbs
me, though, to see new people or less experienced people
being ripped off.  Recently, a young couple came to town
and their charge for privates was way out-of-line with
their experience level (less than 5 years experience
charging the same as a couple with 10+ years and better
credentials?).  I hope that is just an anomaly and not a
sign of things to come.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/