[Tango-L] CONCLUSION for - Professional video & photography services at milongas/festivals

tango@bostonphotographs.com tango at bostonphotographs.com
Mon Aug 13 14:37:10 EDT 2007

I appreciate all the input. A few clarifications and answers :

* I cringe when I see posed shots. Aside from working with experienced
professional models, I would never attempt to stage people shots.
* For the reason above, I cringe when I see "glamor" shots. Having a
choice, I will never take such shots.
* I agree, owning a camera or a camcorder doesn't make one a professional
photographer/videographer. Unfortunately that doesn't stop a lot of
incompetent photographers from earning money as professional
photographers.
* As a "candid" photographer, I try to be as inconspicuous as possible.
* I am fully aware of the many other more lucrative opportunities for
photographers, the post was mostly to satisfy my curiosity about the lack
of interest in photography in the tango world.

Here are my conclusions :

Most tango dancers feel that a person trying to make (very little) money
from something related to tango is some sort of sacrilege. In the year and
a half since I started tango I heard vicious comments about the people who
(try to) make money organizing festivals, milongas, taking pictures or
video. Interestingly, selling tango shoes (at over 100% of the cost in BA)
seems to be an acceptable occupation. Also, it seems accepted that tango
instructors need to make a living. All the other activities apparently
need to be done non-profit, preferably free. This conclusion was only in
part drawn on the responses from this post, it was mostly drawn on provate
discussions with varios people. Oh well, things are what they are.

Cheers
Sorin