[Tango-L] CONCLUSION for - Professional video & photography services at milongas/festivals

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Mon Aug 13 19:59:44 EDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:51:28 -0700 (PDT), "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)"
<patangos at yahoo.com> said:
> It disturbs
> me, though, to see new people or less experienced people
> being ripped off.  Recently, a young couple came to town
> and their charge for privates was way out-of-line with
> their experience level (less than 5 years experience
> charging the same as a couple with 10+ years and better
> credentials?).  I hope that is just an anomaly and not a
> sign of things to come.

That's about par for the course.

I know several people teaching who essentially can't
dance anything recognizable as tango.  One has the sole
qualification of spending 2 weeks in BA taking 4 hours
of instruction a day from a retired stage couple.
About another one, a friend of mine commented, "It's
ironic to see him teaching."  Neither has taken more
than 5 tango lessons from anyone in the last year,
that I know of.

On the one hand, if you are living hours away from a
decent sized tango community, I'm totally sympathetic
to setting up shop as a teacher on a limited basis
once you reach a certain level.  Many people who are
organizing tango in their communities have to be a
as a teacher too.  But in a good sized community with
several highly experienced teachers around, you have
to have at least your fundamentals down before hanging
out your shingle.

I have no clue why some of these people are teaching.

Christopher