[Tango-L] was 'Salon again', now musicality

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Apr 16 04:49:24 EDT 2007

Randy:
I suggest that you don't even think of passing ankles on the half beat, but concentrate on stepping on the beat or the half beat (traspie.) I don't see musicality and velocity as mutually exclusive. My teacher, Joe, told me that if I take two steps per beat, each step is one half the size of one step for one beat. I'm not covering more floor when double stepping. I remember at one class he tried an exercise. He told the men that they had a defined amount of space. They could do whatever they wanted, BUT they couldn't go backwards, only forward or side. The music was slow, but in no time, I ran "out of space."

At one private lesson, he put on some music and told me to dance, by MYSELF and not to worry about a follower. I was terrible the first time, so I told him to show me. He went around the room ONCE, double timing, crossing, etc. Whatever he did, it was on the beat or half beat. That lesson was an eye opener, like most of the lessons.

Michael
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango