[Tango-L] was 'Salon again', now musicality

rockies@comcast.net rockies at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 23:32:57 EDT 2007

Trini said:

> So the velocity at which one moves is something we consider
> in structuring our material.  We start beginners  dancing
> rhythmically (Rodriguez, D'Arienzo) and then we slow them
> down (D'Agostino, DiSarli) and now we're working with them
> on impulse (Pugliese) and slowing them way down.  It's at
> this point that I think we can start working on being more
> elegant.  What do others do regarding velocity of movement?
>
> Trini de Pittsburgh

This brings up another topic. I read somewhere that to be on the compas means that your ankles should exactly pass each other on the half beat as a leader. But doesn't that limit musicality? to me, the velocity of the step changes from start to finish in order to express musicality. I'm sure musicality is expressed in the upper body somewhat, but in A tango, we are taught to be relaxed, not a lot of upper body motion. So.. which is best? Changing velocity while stepping, or timing any changes to occur on the half interval? (seems a lot more difficult to me, but possible... it might give an asymmetrical step which may not look very elegant)

Cheers,
Randy F