[Tango-L] musicality

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 06:28:29 EDT 2007

Hi Randy,

You're correct in thinking that always having ankles or
knees together on the half-beat (upbeat) limits one's
musicality.  But that guideline is useful for teaching
people how to time their leg movements and help them stay
balanced.  However, if you watch how experienced women
ornament, you know this guideline can be broken.

If you're interested in expanding your musicality toward a
more advanced notion, here's a suggestion.  Think of a step
has having at least 4 distinct parts:
- leg extension,
- weight transfer,
- leg closure,
- pivot (if needed).
In general, the leg is fully extended on the strong beat
(downbeat) and the weight transferred/leg closed on the
half-beat (upbeat).  Most dancers do this without realizing
it.  One might think of a pre-lead as a 5th part, but let's
not get into that for simplicity.

Each of these parts can have their own velocity and express
the music differently.  Each can occur over several strong
beats or be more impulsive.  For example, a man can lead a
woman to do an impulsive leg extension but a slow weight
transfer and leg closure.  Or the woman can choose an
impulsive leg closure as an adornment.  And she can do a
languid or impulsive pivot, as well.  Try playing with
these pieces to the music, and you'll discover a lot more
options.

As a follower, I like to know what timing my leader intends
before he asks me to extend my leg for the downbeat which
clues me in on the upbeat.  He can do this by the way he
uses his upper body or how much he bends/does not bend his
standing leg.  That would be the pre-lead.  Hope this
helps.

Back to finishing my taxes.

Trini de Pittsburgh