[Tango-L] learning

Al Goldspiel algoldspiel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 14:12:20 EDT 2007

Dear Ilene,

I think there are different aspects to learning Tango.   Yes,  they all
"come together"  with
a partner AND the music.  But....might it be better to learn each part
without the music...first?

Some examples might be showing how we hold onto each other,  how the man
keeps his left arm in a very particular position,  how we hold our frame.,
how we glide our feet, and how we brush through.   The above are  well
taught without music.

So perhaps it is not such a stretch to learn a particular set of steps
without any music.   It might be easier to memorize the sequence without the
music.   Then of course,  right away,  the sequence is shown to music.
But,  memorizing the steps and practicing them  WITH  a foot position
diagram  hand-out might be a better way - for some at least.   The nice
thing about the hand-out is the pupil can practice the correct steps at
home.   Of course he doesn't master the moves without a live partner and the
music.

Al