[Tango-L] learning

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 15:47:40 EDT 2007

Al's point below is worth noting.

Beginner-beginners in any kind of dance usually need a "walkthrough" or
step-through of a pattern or particular movement, slowly and without
music, to grasp the mechanics of what they are learning to do.  I find
that if a pattern isn't broken down in this way, many will not be able
to learn it, they will just do an approximation to avoid embarassment
for not keeping up with the rest of the class, and they will keep
struggling.  (Others--but not too many others--have the gift of just
watching, and then being able to repeat--and too many teachers rely on
the average student's ability to do this.)

But there's no substitute for practicing to music, even in the middle of
a class, because "it ain't dancing without music." I have danced with
way too many leads who could not keep a simple beat.  The fact that they
knew so many "advanced" patterns but still could not keep a beat makes
me think that there are a lot of teachers out there who are not making
their students dance!

I also give a big thumbs up to teachers who ask the students to dance
for 5 minutes and check them over at the beginning of a class, and who
leave time to play a couple of songs at the end of the class, so the
students can do the new material a dozen times or so to reinforce what
they just learned, in a rhythmic setting.