[Tango-L] No music at practica????

Ed Doyle doyleed at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 12:54:52 EDT 2007

Hi Ilene,

I very much agree with you - no music, no dance.

The first instructor I had for group lessons turned the music way way down
presumably so we could hear him speak  I quickly learned to 'tune out' the
music and just do the steps as the instructor called them out.  This was a
terrible thing I think. Often, as he called out the steps, he was watching
one of the other couples and was actually calling out the timing as 'they'
were doing it.  In fact, occasionally the couple he was watching would 'mess
up' and take an extra step or two and he would call out the extra step or
two.  When I practiced alone, I wasn't used to music, and the music I put on
seemed too fast for me.  At milongas I was terrible.

Fortunately today I there are several very good instructors in our area all
of which emphasize the music and the embrace, and not just steps.  In fact
one of my instructors will have us practice a figure to one kind of music,
then he puts on another type, perhaps a vals, or neo tango music and he
shows us how he might adapt or accommodate the different music rhythms. He
encourages us to find our own adaptation, or try his. For me, being able to
lead a step or pattern in the absence of music means nothing.  If it only if
I can do it and fit my lead to the music that I feel it means anything.
Today, I have several favorite practice CD's, one with very very slow music,
another more intermediate, and one fairly fast.  When I learn something new,
I try to practice it to each of these CD's.

Regards

Ed