[Tango-L] Speed kills

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 17:03:20 EDT 2007

>On a different note, I've never understood why there is music at practicas.
>I thought the purpose of >practicas was to practice figures. To me, the
>music gets in the way. Sometimes, practicas are really >more like milongas.
>Alan and Angel got it right at the recent Atlanta Tango Festival when they
>hedged their bets and called an event "practilonga."

Hi Michael,

While I agree with you in that listening to an explanation or learning a
particular movement might be easier without distractions such as music
playing in the background, it's very important to remember that there is no
tango dancing without music..... Eventually, the step or movement or
sequence must be practiced to the music. Otherwise it's worthless as a tango
dance step....

Practicas are not only about practiocing figures. Although it makes sence
that they would be times to practice some concrete step or sequence, they
are often used to practice dancing ingeneral and most importantly, to
practice the moves to the music.

Cheers,

Manuel