[Tango-L] Human Consideration

Fantasia Sorenson bichonheels at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:04:36 EDT 2007

I loved Deby's post about human consideration as I do all of her posts.

I would like to comment on one part at the end of her post.

On 4/11/07, Deby Novitz <dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com> wrote:

> I realize when people come here to visit the object is to dance as much
> as you can with the best dancers that will dance with you.  You want to
> dance every tanda at every milonga.  With this mentality you easily
> reject people who do not meet your standard so you can find someone who
> does. Gotta dance, gotta dance.  Here we have another idea - we go for
> quality not quantity.

 Guilty! I confess it to everyone here and now.

1. Saw the movies.
2. Bought tickets for the shows.
3. Um... bought MORE tickets for the shows.
4. Signed up for the classes.
5. Um... bought DVDs of the movies I saw already.
6. Was sickened by the poverty of my existing wardrobe.
7. Maxed my credit cards on new clothes, none of which I can wear at work.
8. Signed up for privates.
9. Showed up for school-sponsored milongas... GOTTA DANCE.

Deby, it isn't only in Buenos Aires that we GOTTA DANCE. I showed up to my
first milongas here with major, I mean MAJOR expections. I was overcome with
dreams and debt. Only one thing mattered now (and I borrow this phrase from
another private correspondent), getting my money's worth.

Patience? You must be kidding me. I had no patience for patience. GOTTA
DANCE.

At first that meant simply plying the perimeters of the rooms with feral
intensity. Later, it amounted to an indiscriminate "lock and load" on every
male warmer than a cadaver.

What was the payoff? Did I get what I wanted? NO! And let me tell you, I was
pretty disappointed and resentful. How can anyone not want to dance with me
when I'm so pretty and my checkbook is bleeding so much red ink?

Sigh...

Eventually I discerned that each new batch of students was reenacting this
same cycle. Maybe unless you grow up in Argentina, you're just going to go
through it, sort of like molting. Maybe it's just part of the process.

Rude awakening, but I'm a little calmer about it now, especially since I've
just about paid off my credit cards at this point.

Fan