[Tango-L] The flying Dutchman

lgmoseley@aol.com lgmoseley at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 15:50:05 EDT 2007

My opinion, and that of my regular partner, would be "If he is a delight to dance with and is easy to follow, then continue to dance with him". The number of years of dancing, or the number of times that he has been to BAs, or whether or not he has a well known name, are all irrelevant. Dance with him, and then make your judgement.

There is at least one well-known peripatetic Tango teacher who, according to my partner, heaves the lady around like a sack of coals - much too strong, and with no subtlety. It is not her problem - she has danced with everyone from Gustavo Naveira to our most inexperienced beginners, and knows what a good and poor lead is like.

There are three things that go to make a really good dancer:

1. Native God-given talent - good balance, and a good ear for the music
2. Good teaching - learning the basics well, which can build upon 1
3. Plenty of practice, which can build upon 1 & 2

People who have been dancing for 12 years, or who have been regularly to BAs, will probably qualify under 3. However, without 2, they will disappoint. There is a huge difference between 12 years of experience and 1 year of experience repeated 12 times. All too often, the hours on the floor can be spent reinforcing bad habits, and making them ingrained. The men with such ingrained bad habits are often those who complain most about their partners - when the fault actually lies with them. I recall a conversation with Carlos Gavito in which he told me that he went to lessons at least once a month; he never went to 'Intermediate' or 'Advanced' classes; he always went to a beginners' class. The reason that he gave was that he could do all the fancy stuff, but what tended to slip was how he stood, how he walked, how he embraced, etc. Spotting those lapses was what he wanted from a teacher.

2 & 3, I'm told, produce a good partner. Add 1 to the equation, and you get a heavenly partner.

So, ladies, dance with him, and make your own judgement. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the advertising blurb.

Laurie (Laurence)