[Tango-L] customs

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:57:53 EDT 2007

Hi Nina,

I agree with you on all points. And yes, there are no absolutes (at least in
tango). My contention was about the absolute necessity to use only the
cabeceo to ask for dances in the local milongas in the USA. All the
advantages you mention are true and undoubtedly the cabeceo will work fine
if properly applied. The problems that I see with it is that it's difficult
sometimes to make eye contact with those you want to ask. Maybe they are too
far away or perhaps they are not in your line of sight or unavailable for
the cabeceo for some other reason.

Also, if you are waiting for the chance to do the cabeceo in one of the
festival milongas, there is a good chance that you'll never get to dance
with some specific person because other guys walk up to her and ask her
before you get a chance to make eye contact... Can it be possible to set up
the milongas with rigorously enforced rules? In my experience I've found
that people in the areas that I'm familiar with do not take kindly to any
rules, regulations or traditions that they do not create for themselves.
It's hard enough to get them to accept the traditional tango music and
traditional social style of dancing in the milongas...... It might be really
cool to use the cabeceo as they do in BAries if it were only possible....

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com