[Tango-L] Red Rover

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Mon Apr 2 15:07:14 EDT 2007

Astrid,

 >Plus a low neckline, nice legs in high heels placed
 >strategically... you know where men's brains are located, right?

Not all men work like that!

While I enjoy a fine neckline myself and have come to appreciate a
women in heels.  Although I find that most women would prefer to be
out of heels, and the lament that I hear from spending a long time in
heels is that its painful.  So why on earth would I want to put
someone in something that's painful to them ?  It doesn't look all
that wonderful to me.  But then again, remember I'm the foreigner,
the american, not an argentine...so what do I know.

I digress...

My point here is that one's dancing ability is the first thing I look
at, not her neckline or shoes.  That is icing on the cake.  Because
if the cake tastes bad, the icing isn't going to make it anymore
palatable.

And to Fantasia, I would add that Astrid has a point, while we're
clearly rude by Argentine standards here in the states, and rarely do
we americans actually USE cabeceo, I see nothing wrong with asking a
man to dance.  If he doesn't want to dance with you, he will find a
rather creative way to say 'NO'.  In my short time as a lead, I've
had to say 'No' to someone.  Its only when that person is persistent
that you have to get creative and find interesting methods to either
avoid making eye contact or saying 'No' to them because you don't
enjoy dancing with that person.  So put yourself out there and do as
Astrid suggests: Drop the hint that you'd like to dance with the
intended man later.  You're not directly asking for a dance right
then, but most men will take that as a hint and ask you to dance on
the spot or if they're already otherwise engaged will get back to you
for a raincheck.  I've made my errors on this point because sometimes
you're just not able to get back to dance card.  Most men, and I'm
speaking in generalities here, will either excuse themselves or ask
for a rain check later on at another milonga...because there's ALWAYS
another Milonga just around the corner.

M i l e s.