[Tango-L] Red Rover

John Ward johnofbristol at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 11:21:59 EDT 2007

I have seen men and women seated separately in Finland. This seems to be the
custom in the old-fashioned "lavatanssit" rather than the urban "ravintolat"
such as the Vanhan Kellari in Helsinki or the Galax in Turku. Single people
go to the men's or women's side themselves; they aren't escorted there. If
you see a man and woman sitting together you know they are a couple. Such
places usually have an illuminated sign saying "Naisten haku" or "Miesten
haku" so you know who may approach others for a dance and who must sit
patiently and wait to be asked.

There seems to be an interesting custom developing in the Atriahalli in
Seinäjoki.(I say "seems" because I think this is what is happening; but if I
ask about it, people say "oh, you can do what you like". But I can see that
they might not feel like explaining delicate nuances of etiquette to someone
who is halting at best in their language.) There is a particular area where
women stand if they want to dance. If they sit at the tables you may still
ask them, but you might be refused.

John Ward
Bristol, UK