[Tango-L] Tango Fire in Cleveland

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sun Oct 29 14:04:29 EST 2006

Timmy:
"I'm a lover of the Milonguero style, so I wanted to see at least one dance
done socially. It didn't happen."

So, what do you want, Timmy?
You said yourself in the sentence: Close embrace is a social dance.
This is it. Done. It does not have a place on stage ! On stage all dances,
all movements are show ones.

You should be careful with your words !!!

Sorry, I am proclaiming the same over again: close or open embrace does not
have anything to do with social or show dance.

It is not close embrace styles are guilty for not being able to get onto
stage. It is the way you dance it and think about it. I do not have to
mention names, there are great dancers who make close embrace look
tremendously showy. And we want to see more of close embrace dancing on
stage ! It really takes hearts of people, performed great, it is a
centerpiece of performance !

Igor Polk.

Now here is the thesis for the another discussion:
"Those who originated the "Milonguero Style" name are among those who did
not make it on stage."
Is it true or false?

PS.
Many of us, experts in dancing, judge show performances as if they are
member of jury to pick up a winner in technique and authenticity. Of course,
a ballet expert will see a lot of mistakes in many ballet performances. But
shows have different purpose. It would be ideal if dancing satisfies all
criteria, but it does not happen always, especially on the stages other than
like Bolshoi or Metropolitan.