[Tango-L] Tango Fire in Cleveland

TimmyTango@aol.com TimmyTango at aol.com
Sun Oct 29 10:15:47 EST 2006

Just my 2 cents on the performance of Tango Fire in Cleveland.
The turn out from the city was very good. The Auditorium held 1600 people and
there were very few seats left.

What they danced and the style they danced was very good. If you like that
style. I'm a lover of the Milonguero style, so I wanted to see at least one
dance done socially. It didn't happen. Myself and several of the people I spoke to
afterwards all felt that every dance, from any of the couples dancing was
repetitive. Every dance except one looked the same. All the dances looked
Gymnastic with all the lifts, spins, and the ladies feet kicking in the air. There
was no close embrace at all. I do have to say that every couple ended their
dance with very exciting poses, that impress the audience.

The orchestra of four, put out more sound than you would think 4 people could
produce. Again, if you like what they played, they played very well. My let
down was almost every song they played, were in "Forever Tango." In fact they
even sounded exactly like "Forever Tango,"
especially when I heard Derecho Viejo. That song was the clincher. I was
listening to the sound track of "Forever Tango." I really feel they could have
picked new songs to dance to, with Thousands of tangos to pick from.
To round off the show, I would think, that with the show having 28 songs,
that they could have danced 1 Vals for the people of the audience could have
experienced. Not a one.

In "Forever Tango" the show started out with a rough dance hall scene. Men
wanting to start a fight each other, Ladies of the night teasing the men for a
dance. Tango Fire also started out the same exact way, how original.

The gentleman who sang, sang well, but he was no Angle Vargas.

Like I said, if you liked what they did. They did it very well. And if you
never got to see "Forever Tango," you were very entertained. But if you did see
"Forever Tango, I feel you'll be a little let down, since there was no big
name performers dancing, like Gavito.

Just my 2 cents
Timmy in Cleveland