[Tango-L] The thrill is gone... how to get it back?

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Oct 14 17:34:28 EDT 2006

Hi Rob,

  That driving license stuff was good...

  Cheers,

  Lucia

Rob Armus <rarmus at hotmail.com> escribió:  Thank you who replied, good advice which encourages me (for the better or
the worse).
Below I will answer the funny questions from Lucia...

>From: Lucia

>It is interesting reading the encouragements to Rob Armus in this thread.
>What is the case?
>
>   RA arrives in a town where no one knows him, drops in a milonga and,
>without knowing anything about Tango, starts dancing in a disruptive
>manner.

At the risk of sounding defensive (please don't take it wrong), I didn't say
I didn't know anything about Tango nor that I was being disruptive but I
understand how you came to that conclusion as you don't know otherwise and
people generally don't give someone they don't know the benefit of the
doubt, no big deal.

Upon remonstrations, he learns some moves, but then is  dissatisfied that he
has to dance by the rules of the dance, feels  boxed-in and Tango does not
thrill him anymore.

I didn't learn moves but took lessons to understand the codes of the
community (which is quite complex in Paris).

>   Without knowing more about RA such as:
>
>   1. What thrilled him in first place?

The music and to interpret it through dance.

>   2. Does he behave on occasion in a disruptive, or asocial,  mode?

Occassionaly but doesn't everyone ?

>   3. Does he abide to rules and regulations, or hates them?

I mostly abide but admit I hate rules and regulations.

>   4. How many traffic tickets does he have (or even if his driving licence
>in order?)

My drivers liscence expired but yes, i did have a lot of parking tickets.

>   5. Does he like music, does he dance and what, etc?

I love music, I am a proffessional musician but never really danced much
until i started Tango more than 10 years ago.

>   RA, and the list  received the following replies, each from a different
>respondent:
>
>    Have faith, you've not lost the thrill of tango at all.

thank you

>    I guarantee the real thrill will still be there.

encouraging, thanks.

>    Try breaking the "rules" from time to time

I like that one.

>    I suggest not trying too hard to fit in

Seems like good advise.

>   Encouragements of this kind  to people one does not know well enough are
>irresponsible.
>
>   Lucia

Irresponsible to encourage someone to continue dancing ? Brain suergery I
might understand but dancing ?