[Tango-L] The thrill is gone... how to get it back?

Robert Armus rarmus at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 05:54:22 EDT 2006

Hello everyone : - )

When I first started going out to Milongas to dance I didn't know anyone
(because I was new in town) nor all the rules and had a GREAT time asking
everyone and anyone to dance, even though I couldn't execute many figures or
have much technique for that matter, I was very enthusiastic and did have
many "Tango moments". Usually the girl I was dancing with enjoyed also, and
then, of course, inevitably I started to get some bad (sometimes downright
nasty) reactions. I was told that "you can't do this" and "never do that"
etc. So after a period of thinking about packing it in I started to take
classes with some popular local teachers to try and fit in. Now I know the
rules (social and dancing) and dance how they expect everyone to dance. I no
longer get nasty comments but I find that the thrill is gone, I feel like
I'm in a box and have to be very careful not to break any of the rules and
rarely have those special moments. Does anyone else relate to this? Does the
thrill come back?

Rob