[Tango-L] The Good Dancer

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 11 11:49:11 EDT 2006

Gibson Batch <gibsonbatch at hotmail.com> escribió:
  > I am curious about [snip] what makes a dancer think that she/he is good.

  Her/his ego

> To me, a good dancer should be able to make virtually any-and-every
allowance for the music, the partner, the space, the floor, and the
atmosphere in the room.  This is equally true for followers and leaders.

  What is allowance and what does it have to do with elegance, dancing talent andn skill?

> Can you dance Tango to Pink Floyd?
  > Can you dance on a rough concrete floor or gravel?
  > Can you dance with someone who has no timing?
  > Can you dance in sandals or with someone who is?

  Anyone can - a  bad dancer will dance equally bad everywhere, every time...

> I would think good dancers would enjoy themselves under any circumstances.

  Everyone dances for fun...

  > A good dancer should also make the dance safe for their partner and everyone  around them.

  This is a matter of manners, not of quality of the dance

> I  would hope good dancers would want to spread the wealth of their skill  and get out on the floor, most especially with someone inexperienced.

  Not necessarily so. Some prefer only good partners, or good looking, etc.

So what is a good dancer? To paraphrase Jean-Paul Sartre, a good dancer is one who is considered to be so by the community.

  Lucia ;->

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287